It is when I am making cards and sewing for adults that I sometimes struggle for the perfect colour combinations. Sometimes selecting the fabrics that give the look I want can take as long as sewing the actual item!
Over time I have come across some great sites and hints to make choosing colours so much easier.
1. Look to nature for wonderful colour combinations. They almost always work! For instance the pure white flower above with the yellow and hint of green - perfect!
The green leaves with an accent colour of the deep red works great too.
Purple and green is always a winner.
Shades of orange, yellow and green - citrus colours are a fantastic combo too.
Understand complementary colours, analogous colours, colour triads primary, secondary and tertiary colours.
3. Choose colour to go with the theme and mood. For instance when I am making baby nappy stackers I choose softer pastel colours over extremely bright ones. I choose pale blues and greens or pinks and soft mints.
4. Paint charts. All the hard work has been done by colour experts in the paint industries. Pop into your local hardware shop and grab some paint colour charts. Not only have they got every shade of colour you could possibly want but they have also got colour combinations worked out too. Play around with some of the paint sites online too http://www.dulux.com.au/ or http://www.taubmans.com.au/public/colour.aspx
5. Use magazines for inspiration. Interior decorating magazines are especially helpful.
6. There are no rules. Be brave with colour combinations and experiment with different textures and shades.
SALE SALE SALE
Just a reminder that all of my childrens cloth books are reduced to $20.00 for a limited time.